Our little kitchen is finally complete now that we have our Vitamix. We’ve been having so much fun making juices and smoothies each morning, but thought we would experiment with soups now that we’re fully immersed in cooler weather and feeling at home in Brooklyn.
What is great about the new Vitamix Venturist machine is that it comes with a built in timer, perfect for getting soup to the right temperature. It also comes with three sized containers (64 oz. low profile container, 20 oz. to-go cup & a baby 8 oz. bowl…perfect for spice grinding or even making small batches of dressing). Available in a variety of colors, the red was the perfect choice for our new kitchen!
On Friday night, rather than going out, we got cozy at home and had some family and friends over. I got a head start on dinner in the afternoon, which hardly felt necessary since this soup was complete in under 20 minutes with the help of our Vitamix. Oh, and did I mention that the Vitamix is self cleaning? Bonus points all around!
The recipe below is perfect for two so feel free to double if you want leftovers or if you’re having company over, you just may need to make it in batches. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- ½ medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ can Cannellini beans, drained & divided
- 3 cloves of garlic, peeled & smashed
- 1 14.5 oz can whole, peeled tomatoes
- 14.5 oz tomato juice
- 1/2 cup vegetable broth
- 1/3 cup raw cashews
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil leaves
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil over medium heat and saute onion until soft and fragrant, about 5 minutes. Transfer onions to a small bowl and set aside.
- Return pan to heat and add 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add the drained cannellini beans along with the garlic and saute until the garlic is just starting to soften, about 3-5 minutes. Remove from heat.
- Add garlic, onion, whole peeled tomatoes, tomato juice, vegetable broth, cashews, thyme, basil, cayenne, and half your cannellini beans into your large Vitamix container with lid.
- Select Variable 1 or the Hot Soups program (if available).
- Start the machine and slowly increase to the highest speed. Blend for about 6 minutes or run the Hot Soups program until complete. Stop the machine.
- Add your remaining cannellini beans (without blending), divide into bowls and garnish with thyme and salt and pepper.
- Serve with fresh sourdough bread or gluten-free bread if you wish and enjoy!
Photography by Amy Frances.